Sunday, October 19, 2014

Lydia Calhoun is here

Lydia Carol Calhoun is here! She arrived Friday, August 15 at 1:02 PM.

I went for my 38 week check up on Wednesday and had a horrible cold and felt awful. They took my blood pressure and it was higher than normal, then she took it again and said let's just go ahead and get that baby here. I was only dilated to a one, so she said I needed to check in to the hospital Thursday night to get medicine that would help speed things up.

Trey and I checked in Thursday night at 8:30. The nurse started the medicine at 10 and we both slept on and off until 6 o'clock in the morning when they took me to labor and delivery to start Pitocin. (Really he slept and was on my phone trying to fall asleep, but I was uncomfortable.) At that point I was 3 cm dilated.

My doctor came to see me and they broke my water at 8:30 a.m. I got my epidural at 10 a.m. and while that is never pleasant, I felt great afterwards! At 11:00 a.m. they came in and asked if I was feeling the pressure to push. I told them I wasn't and the nurse explained to me that Lydia's heartrate was dipping and typically when this occurs they are heading into the birth canal and preparing to come on out. They watched it closely and came back in about 5 minutes later and had me lay on my side with my leg up in the air on a stirrup. After a little bit she then made me roll over to the other side. They were trying to get Lydia to turn. Her heartrate stabilized and I had to stay laying on my side.

About that time I started feeling my contractions and asked the nurse to give me more medicine. It worked, so well that I couldn't move my legs at all. The next time I was checked I was at an 8 and the doctor told me I was 100% effaced and would be ready to have a baby before long. They checked me again at 12:30 and said I was ready to push.

I had been having really bad pains, so they upped my medicine again. By the time I was ready to push I could not move my lower body at all. It was funny bc the nurse would tell me to put my leg up and I couldn't even wiggle my toes. Talk about a weird feeling!

I pushed one big push and Lydia was crowning. She was still slightly turned and the doctor told me not to push again. She told me she could see Lydia turning and told Trey to come look. She said "Isn't this so amazing that she knows exactly what to do." She turned and I was told I could push again. Then the doctor told me to stop pushing immediately. The cord was wrapped tightly enough around her neck that Dr. Speight told Trey she was sorry to steal his moment, but she had to cut the cord right then.

One little push later and Lydia was here. She had a little bruising on her face, but other than that she was perfect! She was put on me immediately and then taken to be wiped off and then I got her back.

They don't take your baby to the nursery anymore so I got to hold her and feed her for over an hour before we were wheeled to our room. I loved that part of it just being Trey and me and our new baby before everyone came to see her. Now, I HATE wearing the hospital gown so I asked my nurse if I could change. My family was about to come to my room and I wanted to make sure I was covered and nothing was hangin out. I was so hot and was sweating and in the gown I would have had to have been under convers and I couldn't stand it! She told me she didn't want me to stnad up because of the epidural, so as soon as she left the room I threw on my old clothes! I felt so much better! She walked in though as I was changing and wasn't happy. Oh well, I was! 

My Mom and sister had the girls so they all came in. Caleb and Trey's parents came as well. (Don't you love Layla's smile! Hahaha!)

I was on about 3-4 hours of sleep and was soooooo tired. Lydia had not had a bath yet because they wanted her temperature up so we had to do skin to skin for an hour. She finally got a bath at 8 at night. 

We were worn out and went to sleep.

We got to go home the next day after Lydia saw the pediatrician and had her hearing test. I just hate being in hospitals and love the comfort of my own home. My doctor was awesome and made sure I got to go home as quickly as possible! Our sweet baby girl was healthy and perfect inevery way. Ella and Layla were in love and constantly want to hold her, kiss her and love on her. 


Amanda said...

I love that you got out of the hospital gown as fast as you could! I wish I would have done that! We love Lydia and know her big sisters do too!

Josh and Shan said...

Teach me your ways of looking so good during and after labor!!! Congrats on another precious girl! She looks just like Ella!

Brettni Brumfield said...

Lovely, lovely! And Mrs. Lady, you looked awesome after delivery!

The Calhoun Clique said...

Hahaha! Fix you hair before, waterproof makeup! Because you will cry! (From happiness!!!)

The Calhoun Clique said...

Thanks sweet friend!